Pregnancy usually comes with a lot of joy and expectations, but it also comes with challenges. This post will give you a list of all the must-have pregnancy items for mom that will ease those challenges.
With the right tools at hand, your pregnancy can be easier and more enjoyable.
Disclaimer: Some links on this page are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Must-Have Pregnancy Items for Mom:
1. Pregnancy pillow
A pregnancy pillow is one of the best investments you can make for yourself while expecting. It is actually the number one must-have item recommended by moms.
Pregnancy pillows are designed to provide the necessary support for your back and your tummy. They eliminate the need to use several pillows at once.
By the time you are in the second and third trimester, sleeping can be really uncomfortable due to the growing tummy. A Pregnancy pillow will ease the discomfort and improve your sleep significantly.
2. Morning Sickness Remedies
Most pregnant women develop morning sickness with varying intensity. While it may not be a problem at all for some, most will need a remedy for nausea as it can be a real inconvenience.
If you are dealing with morning sickness, using natural remedies like ginger and lemons can help. A SeaBand wristband that uses acupressure to relieve nausea naturally is another good option. You can also find more remedies here
>>>Download Your Maternity Hospital Bag Checklist For Delivery<<<
3. Soothing Lotion/Cream For Stretch Marks
Stretch marks are the badges of honor that we receive as mothers for carrying a little human in our tummies for a whole 9 months. While it may not be possible to completely eliminate them for some people, a stretch mark lotion/cream is a must-have pregnancy item for mom.
Keeping your skin intensely moisturized can help to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. The trick is to start using a stretch mark lotion or cream early to increase your skin’s elasticity. Don’t wait until the third trimester when the stretch marks are already appearing for you to start applying. Start in the first trimester.
Some of the best selling stretch creams and lotions that you can try:
- Palmer’s cocoa butter tummy formula
- Bio-Oil skincare oil for scars and stretchmarks
- Body boost stretch mark butter
4. Pregnancy Apps
Who doesn’t like to know what to expect at every step of the way while pregnant? Pregnancy apps come in very handy for this. They give you week by week updates on what to expect, your baby’s size each week and other useful tips.
Some even give daily updates and provide a tracking system for all pregnancy-related stuff such as your weight, mood, what you are eating, doctor’s visits, etc.
My favorite apps are Babycenter and Ovia Pregnancy.
The Ovia app would show me when we got through major milestones and this was huge for me because I was on bed rest with a very high-risk pregnancy.
I shared a screenshot of the first major milestone we crossed that made me cry in gratitude. (You can read my pregnancy story here)
5. Pregnancy Must have – Comfy Shoes
Comfortable flat shoes (like these breathable flat loafers) are the other item that you should have during pregnancy. Keep in mind that your legs might swell and your normal shoe size may not fit. You will probably need to go one or two sizes higher during pregnancy. Slippers or flip flops like these beautiful gold ones are an excellent choice when packing your hospital bag for delivery.
6. Prenatal Vitamins
Prenatal vitamins cannot miss in the list of must-have pregnancy items for moms. They are extremely important for ensuring your baby has all the necessary nutrients for their proper growth and development.
Start taking your prenatal vitamins as soon as you find out that you are pregnant. You can even start as soon as you start trying for a baby. It is actually highly recommended by doctors.
What I recommend:
- Naturemade Prenatal Vitamins – I took these ones (with DHA) throughout my pregnancy and I am currently taking their Postnatal Vitamins and they are excellent.
7. Maternity Belly Support Band
Belly bands are designed to support your back and your abdomen especially if you are very active. They provide gentle compression to support your uterus as well as reduce discomfort from physical activity.
Getting a nice belly band will help you maintain good posture, alleviate back pain and discomfort, and help you engage in your normal duties more comfortably. They can also be used even after pregnancy.
8. Comfortable Maternity Clothes:
I have also found body con dresses to be a necessary addition to your wardrobe because they stretch beautifully to flatter your growing bump. They will come in handy when you need to step out for an event and keep you looking fabulous without too much effort.
9. Heartburn Remedies
More than half of all pregnant women experience heartburns in the second and third trimester. There are several natural home remedies for heartburns. You can also use safe over-the-counter medicines such as Tums.
10. Water Bottle
During pregnancy, you are going to need to drink a lot of water. it is recommended that you take 48 to 64 ounces (six to eight 8-ounce glasses) of water per day.
Get a nice bottle that you can carry with you wherever you go so that you always have your water with you throughout the day.
11. Maternity/Nursing Bra
Your breasts increase in size in pregnancy. Most women will go up a size or two. For your comfort, be sure to obtain a bigger stretch bra to accommodate your growing girls. While at it, you can even opt to get nursing style bras since you are gonna need them soon anyway.
Now that you know all the items you need I hope that you will get to enjoy your pregnancy as much as possible.
12. Prenatal and Child Birth Class
Prenatal and Child birth classes are really good at keeping you informed. Most child birth classes will teach you what to expect when giving birth, how to know when you are in labor and even how to manage labor pains and the different pain management options available to you.
Most hospitals offer classes but with this new normal you may have to find online classes.
Some classes that I can recommend:
- Mommy Did You Know’s online premium prenatal class
- This class will take you through your body changes in pregnancy, help you in preparing for delivery, all about childbirth and pain management, what to expect postpartum and so much more.
- Rachel Da Silva,RN,BSN,CLC, is the one who teaches the class. She is a Registered nurse with over 8 years of practice in maternity and she is a mom of 2. I loved her teaching style and her friendly personality which shines through.
- You can take her FREE class here
13. Prenatal Breastfeeding Class
If you are planning on breastfeeding, I would also recommend taking an online breastfeeding class by a lactation consultant to help you prepare adequately.
- Lactation Mamas Breastfeeding With Ease online breastfeeding class
- This class is by Jada Glover, a mom who used diet and exercise to heal her PCOS. She is also a Certified Lactation Counselor and a wealth of knowledge when it comes to breastfeeding issues. (You can see a Q&A that I did with her, here)
- In this class, you will find answers to all of your breastfeeding questions and access to a Lactation Consultant, which is very important. From setting realistic expectations, learning how to latch your baby and get ready for the newborn phase. It is jam-packed with information that will empower you to get through the anxiety that comes from breastfeeding and give you the confidence you need to relax and enjoy the journey. You will also get access to Jada’s exclusive group where she answers all your questions.
What is the one item you could not survive without during pregnancy? Let me know in the comments below, mama
- The Early Signs of Pregnancy Before A Missed Period
- The best postpartum survival tips from moms who get it
- The Ultimate Newborn essentials Checklist
- How to stay fit during pregnancy